Adam to Noah - Type
"When we look at the meaning of the names in this chapter, a whole new light is shed on the authenticity of the book of Genesis and our understanding of how God uses the bible to speak to us. The list of names and their meanings is:
The Blessed God
Shall come down
His death shall bring
Putting all the names in sequence we have:
Adam Seth Enosh Kenan Mahelalel Jared Enoch Methuselah Lamech Noah.
In English it reads:
Man Appointed Mortal Sorrow. The Blessed God Shall come down Teaching His death shall bring The Despairing Comfort.
Praise God that He has revealed His message even in the most unexpected places."
Genealogy of Jesus - Gentiles - Type
When considering the genealogy of Jesus as outlined in Matthew chapter 1 it is interesting to note that four women are specifically mentioned. They are:
- Tamar - a gentile woman who played the harlot (Genesis chapter 38).
- Rahab - a gentile harlot who received the two "witnesses" (spies) sent by Joshua (Joshua chapter 2).
- Ruth - a gentile woman who married Boas as part of the redemption package for Naomi (Ruth).
- Bethsheba - the wife of a gentile who becomes the wife of a great king.
It is interesting to compare the nature of these women with the progress of the church toward God's Eternal Purpose.
- We start out as "spiritual harlots".
- Jesus sends his witnesses to us to verify his death and resurrection (Acts 1:8).
- Jesus calls us to become his "bride" (Ephesians 5:22 - 32).
- We shall reign with Jesus in his Millennial Kingdom (Revelation 20:6).