Offering of Isaac - Type
In Genesis 22 we read the story of God asking Abraham to offer his son Isaac as a sacrifice. This entire episode is a type of the offering of Jesus as a sacrifice for sin. There are some very important points which need to be considered:
- God said, " Take your son, your only son Isaac whom you love..." (Genesis 22:2). It is interesting to note that Abraham actually had another son Ishmael, yet in this case God did not include Ishmael in the equation.
- "... go to the land of Moriah, and offer him him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I shall tell you" (Genesis 22:2). The mountain of Moriah upon which this took place was just outside Jerusalem. There is every indication that this is the place where Jesus died on the cross.
- Abraham "figuratively" received Isaac from the dead at the end of this event. Of course Jesus did die and did rise again from the dead.
- Abraham called the place Jehovah Jireh (The Lord will Provide) saying "In the Mount of the Lord it shall be provided". This is a prophetic utterance concerning the future death and resurrection of Jesus.
- Note: Isaac is not mentioned again in the Scripture by name until his marriage two chapters later. Jesus has been taken up into Heaven until the time of His "marriage".